The development and empirical approbation of complex teacher training in a classical (non-pedagogical) university is being carried out within the STRAU (Strategic Academic Units). At present bachelor degrees in mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, etc. in classical Russian universities do not involve any teacher training. Receiving a bachelor degree does not always lead to employment in the chosen field. At the same time schools are in need of new teachers but in view of their lack of teacher training recent graduates cannot be employed by schools. Current educational traditions and patterns of bachelor programmes’ organization need to be radically modernized (transformed, integrated, personalized): within the current trends there is still hardly any freedom in terms of choosing one’s own educational trajectory, there is no personal and practical orientation.
The necessity to develop new pedagogical standards has recently become apparent along with the necessity to introduce new variative models of professional training and retraining for bachelor and master’s students and for those already holding bachelor, master’s, specialist and other graduate degrees. This has to be done with the aim of enabling students and graduates to develop the competences of a subject teacher, teacher-researcher and teacher-innovator. New teachers – the XXI century teachers – have to be mobile (flexible, ready to sense changes and adjust), they need to know how to work within the ever-changing environment of today, know how to work with transforming studentship in a transforming school.
The new model that is currently being developed in the Kazan Federal University makes use of international experience – it reflects successful teacher education practices of the UK, US, Netherlands and Germany. This model has already been approved and supported by the international teachers’ association (the International Forum on Teacher Education, Kazan, KFU, 2016) and by the experts from the Oxford, Glasgow and Dublin universities.
In accordance with its conceptual core the teacher education model of the Kazan Federal University:
The objectives of psychological and pedagogical support of qualification for students` teaching profession and teacher training at university are the following: implementation of subject-oriented approach in professional education; operationalization of individual-graded approach within professional teacher training based on technification of educational process; organization of feedback in education process and ensuring of psychological support at all levels of entering the teaching profession.
The concept of teacher education assumes several trajectories (variant, distributed, integrative etc.), but each one considers implementation of seven modules:
– psychological module “Pedagogical psychology as methodology of education, upbringing and development” includes: psychological background of modern education, age-specific psychology and developmental psychology, conflict management, educational institution management, training: prevention of teachers` stress and professional burnout, game psychology and pedagogy with training on game design, the basics of psychological support while educating children with disabilities, diagnostics of deviations and giftedness, technologies of deviant behavior correction and giftedness support, interaction psychology in educational environment;
– pedagogical module “Pedagogy as a theory and art of personal education” includes: pedagogy as a theory of upbringing, education and development; innovations in education and upbringing; interaction pedagogy, basics of pedagogical art, pedagogical qualimetry, pedagogical rhetoric, pedagogue`s creativity training, basics of pedagogical communication, game psychology and pedagogy with training on game design, diagnostics of interpersonal communication style, practicum of interpersonal communication, professional standard “Pedagogue”, regulatory frameworks of general education institution, regulatory support of educational institutions` activity;
– educational module “Upbringing and education as a whole process” assumes: professional and pedagogical support of educational process subjects, creative self-development of educational process subjects, students` upbringing, development and maintenance;
– didactic module “Innovative and practical activity of a teacher” includes: innovative processes in education, modern educational technologies, interactive learning practice, monitoring on quality of educational process, modern technologies of educational results assessment, innovation peculiarities in teaching; developing, problem technologies and problem – developing teaching;
– methodical module “Methodical competence of a teacher” includes: methodology of nowadays lesson, project activity in educational institution, design of educational environment, Federal State Educational Standard (FSES) in general secondary education, teaching methodology (of a subject), special activity of subject-teachers in terms of implementing FSES;
– information module “Digital pedagogy and gamification in education” includes: modern tools of information support in educational process (pros and cons of their use), distance learning technologies, methods of using interactive aids and JT-technologies at fixed and extracurricular activity;
– multicultural module “Multicultural and national education”, education in multicultural and multiethnic society, peculiarities of national education, types of linguistic identity, bilingualism and multilingualism; ways of overcoming depressive bilingualism and degradation of speech and intellect, linguodidactic peculiarities of teaching humanities and natural sciences in a national school (considering transposition and interference).
The modules in different trajectories of teacher education provide their variability, mobility when entering educational program and exiting from one.
The content modernization and update of educational programs list will be carried out simultaneously with theoretical – methodological and practical development of four blocks:
Transforming student. Study of a student in context of ongoing psychological, socio – psychological, psycho-physiological changes in his personality under the influence of civilization (historical), economic, social, information, communication, environmental factors and socio-cultural dynamics of society.
Transforming education. Study of transforming education acting as socio-cultural and intellectual catalyst of changes, and is being characterized by implementation of multi-level educational systems, interactive and distant educational technologies, gradual strengthening of natural science components of education in accordance with demands and needs of gifted students, economy of the future and world mobility.
Transforming teacher. Study of social and professional status, professional and personal characteristics and competences of a modern teacher as a subject of educational process and professional – personal development, being able to perform successfully in context of alternative educational models and to initiate structural innovations in terms of transforming education.
Transforming teacher education. Study of scientific, content, technological and organizational bases of reflexive and research-based teacher education, design and implementation of structural-functional model of teacher training in a classical university considering transformation processes in society and education.
Key units in within project and their interaction
– KFU UNITS http://kpfu.ru/institutes;
– LYCEUM NAMED AFTER LOBACHEVSKY http://kpfu.ru/liceum ;
– IT LYCEUM http://kpfu.ru/it-liceum;
– pedagogical college http://kazanpedcollege.ru/ ;
– pedagogical schools.
The director (Research consultant):
Ian Mentor, Vice-President, British Educational Research Association Emeritus Professor of Teacher Education, Department of Education and Emeritus Fellow, Kellogg College, University of Oxford
Valeryan Gabdulhakov, Deputy Director for Research, Institute of Psychology and
Education, Kazan Federal University
The project coordinator:
Aydar Kalimullin, Director of the Institute of Psychology and
Education, Kazan Federal University
International and Russian project experts
Oxford University (UK), Russian Academy of Sciences and the experts of project
All projects on modernization of teacher education implemented in 2014-2015 were mainly focused on improvement of currently existing teacher training system. However, in a classical university that combines powerful scientific and educational potential in the person of different knowledge areas` representatives within a single university there is a need for searching of radically new strategy for teacher education development, aimed at talent nurturing, mobility and multicultural world. Therefore, in addition to organizational restructuring, no less important is the content upgrade of that process also requiring special research attention. Analysis and correlation of Russian teacher training models with national practice in various countries all over the world, primarily in Europe, followed by adaptation of effective mechanisms to a special situation, makes it possible to find the most effective ways of practical solutions to this problem. Novelty of concept and project of Institute of psychology and education KFU is determined by processability in building of teacher education content. Technology has an integrative, variant, modular, problem-based character. It considers modern multicultural (polycultural) conditions. The modular structure of educational process allows presenting teaching activities as thematic complete sections or blocking which means reorganization of training structure. Focus on problem-oriented technologies (from communicative core and critical thinking to modular, problem learning and expert seminars) allows to implement the content of disciplines on educational psychology, didactics, teaching methods and teaching practice as a practice-oriented system that ensured the formation of professional pedagogical skills.
At the same time the quality of future teachers` training is being ensured by the fact of creating public “library” on training modules, each of which:
– precisely formulates verifiable educational outcomes focused on standard of a teacher;
– describes forms of educational process organization, ensuring these results` achievement;
– develops tools for assessing interim and final control of future teachers` level of achievement.
Institute`s project on teacher education involves development of not only standards, curricula, modules and ways of educational process organization, but also technologies of teacher training support aimed at ensuring of individually-differentiated approach to teacher education, psychometric testing of unique psychognostic blocks and programs of online diagnostics, coordination of technologies` testing on models of bachelors` professional retraining (subject teacher).
Goals and objectives
Development of a new model of teacher education in a classical university, taking into account ongoing transformation in social, socio-economic, cultural life, transformation in educational sphere affecting not only school but other subjects educational process – the identity of both teacher and child.
– To develop theoretical foundations, concept of teacher education in classical university environment, standard of professional retraining to subject-teacher
– To define principles for new model of teacher education, main trajectories of its implementation (curricula, educational programs, modules, etc.) and testify them in real practice.
– To develop a unified teacher education system encompassing all levels of teacher education.
– To establish Resource center for teacher education functioning in e-format and provides network and distant collaboration between education subjects.
– To technologize process of professional training and retraining in context of current conditions of continuing education.
The primary expected results
The primary expected outcomes of project:
– Creation of sociological, socio-cultural, physiological, psychological portrait of educational process subject in a transforming world;
– Development of new university standard within teacher education in context of constructive Russian and foreign experience;
– Development and implementation of variant educational programs and informational, multicultural, socio-pedagogic support technologies of education subjects while implementing two-phase sequential teacher education at university;
– Development of logistic mechanisms in flexible organization of educational process in accordance with short-term and long-term education goals based on a diagnostic goal-setting and reflection;
– Creation of new functional and structural teacher training model in a classical university, taking into account psychophysiological and socio-cultural aspects of educational process subject`s transformation.